Monday, June 25, 2012

Whoo. 

Yeah, so I feel the need to apologize about my 'Korra' review entry. Long story--that really isn't a long story--short, I was incredibly tired yesterday. I spent most of my weekend at a very festive family reunion with my other-mama and by the time I actually got back in front of a computer I was beat. So that's why the review is full of spelling and grammatical errors. I was just too pooped. 

Anyway, I plan on possibly re-posting the review with some edited changes, but before that I feel the need to kind of summarize what I was rambling about in my exhausted stupor. It will be real short this time, I promise

So I had been following all that the Avatarverse has had to offer since it first premiered way back when in like, what, 2005 or something? After such a great experience watching Avatar the Last Airbender, I had high hopes for The Legend of Korra. While her first few episodes were pretty promising (with a few of the latter ones being kind of iffy) unfortunately the season finale left me feeling pretty glum. I think the pacing of the season is what proved to really kill things for me because there were so many elements of the plot and character's that just didn't unfold completely. There were so many questions left unanswered about Amon and the sensitive social situation between benders and non-benders, but in such a way that I felt like there was a lot of missed opportunity for some great moments to occur in the show. Yes, I know the second season hasn't even premiered yet and there's still plenty of time for some Q&A, but with Korra effectively ending the whole "taking your bending away" problem I'm just dully wondering what else to expect. Say there is going to be a new enemy for her to face--do we just get the finale as our final resolution to all of Amon's craziness? 


Character development was pretty weak, blah, blah. I'll just say that one of the most charming things I find about Avatar is it's acknowledgement that it can't laugh off some of it's obvious corniness. Each of the characters in the first series had their stereotypical, annoying tropes but it was combated by character growth that challenged those tropes and made them a little compelling. With Korra, everyone's cookie-cutter archetype fell flat and left much to be desired. 


So, I feel like I'm rambling now, and frankly I'm kind of tired about talking about this (hello, the second part of the Promise Trilogy is on it's way!). Really, I'm afraid I've begun to beat a dead horse that unfortunately had a little left left in it for season two. 


So, yeah. Disappointed, but you already knew that, right? 'Course you did (I have go to stop talking to myself on here...)


Anyway, I may write some more musings and/or post of my writing mayhaps, but I shall get off for now. 


Later until...tonight?






No comments:

Post a Comment