Sunday, June 3, 2012

So yesterday I happened to come by this article on YA author's Justine Larbalestier's website: 

It's here.  

It was definitely very illuminating, even shedding some light on a character of mine who suffered a violent sexual assault in his childhood. I briefly struggled with notions of portraying him in a convincing and justifiable way that would explain his trauma, but I think I've got it covered. As Cassandra mentioned in her article, there is no "wrong" or "right" way for someone to act in the aftermath of sexual assault. An emotional response is different in everyone, no two people are alike. Definitely swayed some initial thinking that I previously had. Of course, what was even more unsettling was links in her article that went into an explanation of rape culture and just how misguided it has made people. Pretty tough pills to swallow, but I'm glad I took the time to read into it. 


Anyway, this is a short post but I really don't have much more to say about it. At least right now. Hoping that a little later on today I can post my short story, "Kal's Very Bad Day" which briefly touches upon his own trauma that he unfortunately experienced in his childhood. Sad stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment